Just found my notes at one of my favourite talks at FMX this year: ‘How to Approach a CG Production’ by Kay Delventhal.
A 2nd year once told me it was difficult to develop a pipeline because you simply do not have the time to when making your 2nd or 3rd year film. So I figured I could start building tools and pushing a good working procedure if I start early and start working out and gain experience in what needs to be done.
Although my notes seemed to be an utter mess and half is missing, I’m going to try and store down what I got so I don’t forget this:
Pre-production is about definitions – defining the creativity(visual development), technology(tools), and budget(time). Design, workflow, production plan, asset creation + pipeline development:
- identify purpose and content
- be constant and stable (especially for referencing)
- have all the information in the name
- be unique
- WIP(Work in Progress) & Pipeline (.ma, .psd)
- Master Files (Final) (.mb, .tga, .tiff)
MAKE RULES AND STICK TO THEM!
- No blank spaces or special symbols. Remember_your_underscores~!
- Never use temp names
- Never use the word ‘final’
- Maya WIP files are .ma
- Maya Master files are in .mb (Faster)
- Project name: “Final Project 2011”
- Join words with Capital First Letters: “FinalProject2011”
- Remove vowels, double letters and whatever isn’t needed: FnlPrj11
- Project Name: e.g. FP11 or FnlProj11
- Asset Type: e.g. CHR (Character)
- (Asset Name)
- Workstage – e.g MDL (Modelling)
I remember when I first got into animation, before I had any idea of the many roles in productions, before I even knew what a TD was, one of the lines that stuck to me was from Richard William’s The Animator’s Survival Kit
“If drawn ‘classical’ animation is an extension of drawing, then computer animation can be seen as an extension of puppetry – high tech marionettes.”
I loved the idea of puppetry, I’ve always wanted to work in animation, but I rebelled in the thought of being an artist. How funny now a rigger can also be known as a puppeteer.
Playblast of my first attempt at realflow, for the fountain in my secret garden – the mesh ended up a little too blobby and the scene was too heavy to render in video format xD